Students pursuing their class 12th with a science background can unlock various promising opportunities for them in terms of their careers.
There are many courses after 12th. Be it engineering or architecture, course varieties are plenty. What you need to know is what career suits you the best. In order to move forward in the chosen path, you would have to pursue a course that will train you to become proficient in the chosen career.
Get Best Career Options After Latest News & Updates
Let’s explore the various career options that a science student can pursue after 12th in the macroscopic field of Science:
- Engineering: Engineering is a popular choice among science students. Students can pursue a degree in various fields such as B.Tech in AI, computer science, mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, etc. There are many prestigious institutes in India such as IITs, NITs, and IIITs that offer engineering courses.
- Medicine: Medicine is another popular course among science students. Students can pursue a degree in MBBS and paramedical courses like BDS, BHMS, BAMS, etc. are also appreciable courses.
- Agriculture: Agriculture is an interdisciplinary field that combines science, technology, and business. Students can pursue a degree in B.Sc. Agriculture or B.Tech. Agriculture, among many other specialized courses under the same.
- Pure Sciences: Students who have a strong interest in pure sciences can pursue a degree in B.Sc. Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology, or Environmental Science.
- Architecture: Architecture is a creative field that involves designing and planning buildings and structures. Students can pursue a degree in B.Arch.
- Nautical Sciences/Engineering: Nautical science and engineering programs typically cover a wide range of topics, including ship design and construction, marine propulsion systems, navigation and communication systems, marine safety and environmental protection, maritime law and regulations, and marine operations management.
Top 25 Engineering Career Options After 12th Science
The most popular and preferred course for science students with Mathematics as one of their primary subjects, is engineering. Here is a list of the top 25 most popular engineering courses that will enhance your skills and make you future-ready!
Check popular diploma courses after 12th science here!
Bachelor of Technology/Bachelor of Engineering (B.Tech/B.E) in:
The list of engineering courses is mentioned below:
1. Data Science
3. Apparel Production Management
4. Avionics Engineering
5. Cloud Computing & Virtualisation Technology
6. Artificial intelligence
7. Machine Learning
10. Instrumentation and Control
11. Big Data Analytics
12. Automation and Robotics
13. Petroleum Engineering
14. Dairy technology
15. Ceramic Engineering
16. Robotics Engineering
17. Aeronautical Engineering
18. Aerospace Engineering
19. Automobile Engineering
20. Naval Architecture & Ocean Engineering
21. Smart Manufacturing & Automation
Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch) in:
Courses listed below for students who want to pursue architecture:
22. Architectural Design
23. Urban Planning
24. Interior Architecture
25. Landscape Design
Where can I pursue these courses?
Most of the above-mentioned courses are offered in prestigious and top universities/institutes like the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), National Institute of Technology (NIT), BITS, and IIITs.
In order to get admission to these institutes, you need to qualify for the Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Mains and Advanced and other such entrance exams.
India has also the best colleges in artificial intelligence with amazing placement cell, faculty, infrastructure and accommodation that leads to becoming a successful AI engineer which is now one of the most trending and high-paying domain.
Check the latest entrance exam news here!
Top 15 Medical Career Options After 12th Science
When we imagine a career in medicine, does only becoming a doctor come to your mind? Well, after this article you will be able to appreciate the world of opportunities medicine offers you. Here is a list:
Here is the list of top medical courses that students often choose to pursue after completing his/her 12th grade:
If you don’t want to become a doctor but want to serve hospitality in the medical line then these are the top paramedical courses after 12th we have mentioned below:
- B.Sc Nursing
- Bachelor of Veterinary Sciences & Animal Husbandry
- Bachelor of Optometry
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- BSc Environmental Science
- BSc in Operation Theatre Technology
- Bachelors in Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (BOT)
- Bachelor of Radiation Technology (BRT)
- Bachelor of Speech and Language Pathology
- Diploma in X-Ray Technology (DXT)
Where can I pursue these courses?
There is one most common and well-known entrance examination that the nation conducts to grant admission to students for various medical undergraduate programs, especially medicine and that is NEET (National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test).
Check Medical Courses After 12th without NEET here!
In order to get admission to eminent higher education institutions like AIIMS, KGMU, Lady Hardinge Medical College, Maulana Azad Medical College, etc. you need to qualify for the entrance examination.
Other Interesting and Rewarding Courses in Science
As mentioned at the beginning of the article, there are numerous courses & career options after 12th science to choose from, especially if you are a science student. Let us discuss a few more of them:
- BSc. Agriculture: A broader field of study that would entail a lot of specialization courses like food science, agronomy, horticulture, plant pathology etc. Students must know that pursuing an agriculture culture course after 12th promises a bright future.
- BSc. Forestry: Allied with Agriculture, a degree in Forestry enriches the student’s knowledge base and propels them towards research.
- Bachelor of Life/Pure Science: Many students tend to gain a deeper understanding of science subjects, some feel a strong passion towards some science subjects while others want to go into academics. For them, the best course to pursue after 12th would be BSc. Life Science (if they have Biology) or BSc. Pure Science (if they have Mathematics). Students can also pursue Hons. degree with respect to one particular subject like Botany, Zoology, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics etc.
- Biotechnology: A relatively new field of study that is modelled primarily on research. A lot of other parallels like Genetics, Biochemistry, Bioinformatics, etc. are also great courses to pursue for biology students.
- Nautical Science and Engineering: In India, the only university that offers courses in Nautical Science is the Indian Maritime University. If a mathematics student is interested in Nautical Sciences, then they should prepare to qualify for the IMU CET exam.
Check high salary courses after 12th in 2023-24 here!
Trending Career Options in Science After 12th
Below is a list of courses that many people don’t know about, but they offer a great career prospect. These courses are offered in selective universities and institutions so make sure you choose the best:
- Astronomy: A bachelor course in astronomy is a three-year undergraduate degree program that provides students with a foundational understanding of astronomy, including the study of planets, stars, galaxies, and the universe.
- Bioinformatics: It is an interdisciplinary field that combines biology, computer science, and mathematics to analyze and interpret biological data, particularly in genomics and proteomics.
- Earth Science: Several streams like Geology, Environmental Science, Geography etc. can be studied under earth sciences. A great prospect of becoming a geologist or geoscientist after pursuing this course.
- Forensic Science: A degree in forensic science like forensic toxicology/biology/chemistry would offer a challenging and promising career ahead. The Government of India is always on the lookout for candidates who are willing to build their careers in forensic science.
- Nanotechnology: In nanotechnology, scientists and engineers work with matter at the atomic, molecular, and supramolecular scale, which allows them to create materials with unique properties and applications. This technology is only set to boom in the near future, hence, opting for a B.Tech/BE degree in nanotechnology is surely going to be rewarding.
- Oceanography: In today’s times, multi-disciplinary courses have gained a lot of popularity and oceanography is one such course. It is an interdisciplinary field that combines knowledge and techniques from a range of sciences, including physics, chemistry, geology, biology, and meteorology.
- Sericulture: Attuned with courses like Pisciculture, Horticulture, Apiculture etc. are allied courses of agricultural & allied sciences that are vocational-ready courses but require highly skilled professionals to understand the technicalities of the process. Regular admin posts of officer rank are released for students having specialization in these fields. Hence, a rewarding course to pursue.
- Veterinary Science: Not many students realise that veterinary science has a lot of scope, especially in today’s times. Although, the fact remains that not many colleges offer this course, students with biology as their core subjects must also consider pursuing this course.
It is quite impossible to list down all the possible courses that a science student (be it with Biology and/or Mathematics) can pursue after their class 12th, We have tried to summarise the most important and popular ones that offer a promising career prospect.
The world is changing and evolving quickly and the youth should be ready to face the challenges. We hope that the article was helpful to you. Do let us know in the comments about any other course that interests you in the science stream.
Ans) After completing class 12 in science, you can pursue a variety of courses such as engineering, medicine, pharmacy, biotechnology, agriculture, and many more. You can also explore various career options in research, development, and innovation.
Ans) Some of the top engineering entrance exams in India are JEE Main, JEE Advanced, BITSAT and VITEEE, among others. These exams are conducted by different organisations and universities across India.
Ans) Biotechnology is a rapidly growing field in India with significant contributions to agriculture, healthcare, and industry. With the increasing demand for biotechnology professionals, the scope of biotechnology in India is vast.
Ans) After completing a degree in science, you can explore a wide range of job opportunities in research, development, and innovation in various fields. You can work in government organisations, or private companies, or start your practice as a professional.
Ans) Some of the top colleges in India for science courses are the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Indian Institute of Science (IISc), the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), and the National Institute of Technology (NIT), among others.
Ans) Some of the essential skills required for a career in science include analytical and problem-solving skills, research skills, attention to detail, communication skills, and time management skills.
Ans) Pursuing a postgraduate course after graduation in science is not mandatory, but it can enhance your career prospects and increase your knowledge and skills in your chosen field.
Ans) After completing a degree in agriculture, you can explore career options in agriculture and allied sectors such as agribusiness, food processing, rural development, and many more.
Ans) After completing a degree in pharmacy, you can explore career options in the pharmaceutical industry, hospitals, research institutions, and government organisations, among others.
Ans) National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test (NEET-UG) scores are widely accepted in almost all medical and paramedical courses in India.