In India, there are several courses after 12th to choose from. Among them are numerous popular Diploma in Engineering courses that attract a significant number of students.
These courses provide practical skills and technical knowledge in various fields of engineering. Here is a comprehensive list for you:
Get Top Diploma in Engineering Latest News & Updates
- Mechanical Engineering: This course focuses on the study of machines, manufacturing processes, thermodynamics, and mechanical systems. It is popular due to the high demand for mechanical engineers in various industries.
- Civil Engineering: Civil engineering deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of infrastructure such as buildings, roads, bridges, and dams. It is a popular choice because of the extensive opportunities in the construction industry.
- Electrical Engineering: This course covers the study of electrical systems, power generation, transmission, and distribution. With the increasing demand for electricity and renewable energy sources, electrical engineering is a sought-after field.
- Electronics and Communication Engineering: This course focuses on electronics, telecommunications, and the design of electronic devices. It is popular due to the growth of the telecommunications and consumer electronics industries.
- Computer Science and Engineering: This course provides knowledge of computer hardware, software, programming, and networking. With the booming IT industry in India, computer science and engineering is a popular choice among students.
- Automobile Engineering: This course focuses on the design, manufacturing, and maintenance of automobiles. With the increasing number of vehicles on the road, there is a demand for skilled automobile engineers.
- Chemical Engineering: Chemical engineering involves the study of chemical processes, plant design, and production of chemicals. This field offers opportunities in industries such as petrochemicals, pharmaceuticals, and manufacturing.
- Aerospace Engineering: This course deals with the design, development, and maintenance of aircraft and spacecraft. It is a specialized field that attracts students with a keen interest in aviation and space technology.
- Chemical Engineering: This course focuses on the study of chemical processes, plant design, and production of chemicals. Chemical engineers play a vital role in industries such as petrochemicals, pharmaceuticals, fertilizers, and food processing.
- Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering: This course combines electronics, instrumentation, and control engineering. It involves the study of electronic devices, control systems, automation, and measurement techniques. Electronics and instrumentation engineers are in demand in industries such as manufacturing, power plants, oil and gas, and automation.
Also, check popular engineering entrance exams in India 2023-24 here!
Polytechnic Courses: What are These?
Polytechnic courses in India are technical diploma programs offered by polytechnic colleges or institutes. These programs focus on practical training and technical skills development in various fields of engineering, technology, and applied sciences.
Check popular diploma courses after 12th science here!
These courses are somewhat traditional in nature and used as a synonym for diploma courses in engineering offered in India. Although with the passage of time, the terminologies have changed yet some colleges and institutions still offer diploma courses under the same name.
Eligibility Criteria: The eligibility criteria for polytechnic courses in India vary slightly from state to state and institution to institution. However, the general eligibility criteria are as follows:
- Educational Qualification: Candidates should have completed their secondary education or equivalent (10th standard or high school) from a recognized board in science subjects and mathematics as a core subject.
- Minimum Marks: Most polytechnic colleges require candidates to have a minimum aggregate percentage in the qualifying examination, typically ranging from 45% to 55%.
- Age Limit: There is usually no specific age limit for admission to polytechnic courses. However, candidates should meet the minimum age requirements set by the respective educational institutions or state authorities.
Course Duration: The duration of polytechnic courses in India is typically three years, divided into six semesters. Each semester lasts for six months, including theoretical classes, practical sessions, and industrial training.
Check high salary courses after 12th in 2023-24 here!
Curriculum: The curriculum of polytechnic courses is designed to provide students with a strong foundation in technical skills and knowledge. While the specific curriculum may vary depending on the chosen specialisation, some common subjects covered in polytechnic courses include:
- Basic Sciences: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry
- Engineering Graphics
- Computer Fundamentals
- Engineering Workshop
- Engineering Drawing
- Technical Communication
- Engineering Mechanics
- Electrical and Electronic Circuits
- Digital Electronics
- Programming Languages
- Industrial Training
- Project Work
Curriculum: It typically includes both theoretical and practical components. Practical sessions and laboratory work play a significant role in polytechnic courses to provide hands-on training and develop technical skills.
Employment and Further Education: Upon completion of a polytechnic course, students can explore various career opportunities. They can seek employment in technical roles such as technicians, junior engineers, supervisors, or join industries relevant to their specialisation. Some students may also choose to pursue further education, such as a lateral entry into the second year of a bachelor’s degree program in engineering or technology.
Check popular diploma courses after 12th commerce here!
Some In-demand Diploma Courses in Engineering
Among the many diploma courses in science available, the most common stream for diploma in engineering is IT or Information Technology Branch. Here is a list of IT diploma courses (with some modern amalgamations):
- Mobile Application Development: It is a focused course that trains students in developing mobile applications for platforms like Android and iOS. It covers programming languages such as Java, Kotlin, or Swift, along with mobile app development platforms like Android Studio and Xcode. The program emphasises user interface (UI) design principles, mobile app development frameworks, and integrating databases into mobile apps.
- Graphic Designing: The program typically covers a wide range of topics related to graphic design, including design principles, typography, color theory, layout design, image editing, and digital illustration. Students learn to use industry-standard software tools like Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign to create visually appealing designs. They also gain an understanding of branding, advertising, and user experience (UX) design.
- Digital Marketing: This program that focuses on developing the skills and knowledge required to effectively promote products, services, and brands through digital channels. The program covers various aspects of digital marketing, including search engine optimization (SEO), search engine marketing (SEM), social media marketing, email marketing, content marketing, web analytics, and online advertising. Students learn strategies and techniques to drive online traffic, increase brand visibility, engage with target audiences, and convert leads into customers.
- Animation & VFX: The program covers a wide range of topics related to animation and VFX, including principles of animation, character design, storyboarding, 3D modeling, texturing, lighting, rigging, animation techniques, compositing, and special effects.
- A diploma in Animation & VFX (Visual Effects) is a specialized program that focuses on developing the skills and knowledge required to create high-quality animations and visual effects for various industries, including entertainment, advertising, gaming, and multimedia.
- Web Designing & Development: A diploma in Web Designing & Development is a specialized program that focuses on equipping students with the skills and knowledge required to create visually appealing and functional websites.
- Diploma in Nautical Science: This program that prepares individuals for a career in the maritime industry, particularly in roles related to navigation and operations of ships. The program focuses on providing students with theoretical knowledge and practical skills necessary for working on ships and ensuring their safe and efficient operation.
Best Colleges to Pursue Diploma in Engineering Courses
There are several top universities and colleges in India that offer diploma courses in engineering. Diploma courses are generally offered by various state government & private engineering colleges. Below we have listed some of the colleges which offer diploma programmes in India.
- Ambedkar Institute of Technology, Delhi
- BSF Polytechnic, New Delhi
- College of Engineering (COER), Roorkee
- Government Polytechnic, Dehradun
- Govt. Polytechnic, Saharanpur
- Savitri Bai Phule Govt. Girls Polytechnic
- Government Polytechnic, Kangra
- Govt. Polytechnic, Rohru
- Government Polytechnic, Ambala City
- Government Polytechnic, Hisar
- Kurukshetra University
These are just a few examples of polytechnic colleges for pursuing diploma courses in engineering. It is important to research each college and consider your preferred specialization, location, infrastructure, faculty, and placement opportunities before making a decision.
This was a comprehensive list of diploma in engineering courses in India. The popularity of these courses may vary based on regional demand and industry trends. It is important to research and choose a course based on your interests, aptitude, and future career prospects.
Ans) You can opt for the conventional diploma streams including mechanical, civil, electrical & electronics or you can opt fro the popular in-demand courses like graphic designing, app development, digital marketing etc.
Ans) It mostly depends on the stream you have opted for. Although the average duration lies somewhere between 2-3 years.
Ans) The salary after pursuing a diploma in engineering can vary widely depending on factors mentioned earlier. Although, the typical salary lies somewhere between 18-20k per month.
Ans) Typically, candidates should have completed their secondary education or equivalent, which is usually the 10th standard or high school with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as core subjects.