The Combined Defence Services (CDS) exam is a challenging and prestigious test conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) for recruiting officers for India’s defence sector.
Get CDA 2024 latest news and updates
The exam is held twice a year, and the CDS 1 registration for the 2024 session is also started on 20 December 2023 and candidates must meet strict eligibility criteria, including educational qualifications, age limits, and physical fitness standards.
UPES Dehradun Application Forms Released. Apply Now!
The CDS exam consists of a written test, an interview and a medical examination. The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) has laid down the CDS examination pattern for the written and SSB interview.
The CDS OTA examination pattern differs slightly from the other three examinations. CDS examination is an offline examination conducted in pen-paper format. The CDS marking system, negative marking, overall marks, exam timing, and paper pattern for the CDS exam are available below.
Overview Of The CDS Exam Pattern
The table mentioned below will provide you with a clear overview of the CDS exam pattern simply and understandably:
|Mode of examination
|There are four sections in the CDS examinationIndian Military Academy Indian Naval Academy Air Force Academy Officer’s Training Academy
|2 hours for each section
|Type of questions asked
|IMA, INA, AFA- 300 marks, OTA- 200 marks
CDS Exam Pattern
The exam pattern for CDS may differ as per the academies but the number of questions and type will be the same i.e. objective-type questions. The exam conducted for the OTA may have a slight difference in the number of sections otherwise everything will remain the same. Both the examinations will be bilingual.
The details about both the CDS exam patterns are mentioned below:
- IMA, INA, and AFA Exam Pattern:
- The IMA, INA, and AFA examination consists of three subjects: English, General Knowledge, and Elementary Mathematics.
- Their subject codes are 11, 12 and 13 respectively.
- The time duration provided to complete all the tests is 2 hours.
- Each subject contains 100 marks in total.
- Officers Training Academy Exam Pattern:
- The Officers Training Academy (OTA) examination has two subjects i.e. English and General Knowledge.
- The examination code for English is 11 and for General Knowledge, it is 12.
- The time duration provided to complete the examination is 2 hours.
- Both the test is of 100 marks each.
CDS Examination Pattern FAQs
Ans- The CDS examination is conducted in offline/pen-paper mode.
Ans- There are three subjects in the CDS examination i.e. English, General Knowledge, and Elementary Mathematics.
Ans- Each subject carries a total of 100 marks in the CDS examination.
Ans- The CDS examination is conducted bilingually meaning it can be in both English or Hindi as per candidates’ reference.